Upload OpenWRT Firmware for Asus RT-N66U via tftp / curl
- Set your computer to a static IP (e.g. 192.168.1.123), subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1
- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.
- upload .trx file (brcm47xx/mips74k/) with
curl -T openwrt-18.06.4-brcm47xx-mips74k-asus-rt-n66u-squashfs.trx tftp://192.168.1.1
- When complete, wait until the router reboots itself, which can take at least 10 minutes.
- Wait until the router reboots itself, then access the OpenWRT GUI (Luci) at 192.168.1.1 to set a password.